Festival logo

Victoria International Organ Festival
2012


Festival International d'Orgue de Victoria
2012

Festival Organs

Christ Church Cathedral
Wolff opus 47
Hellmuth Wolff & Associés Ltée., Laval, Quebec
Opus 47 (2005)
4 manuals, mechanical action; slider chests with electric stop action; Thomas Young's 1/6 comma temperament as modified by John Brombaugh
The tonal design is modelled on the work of French-influenced South-German builders of the 18th century such as Holzhey and Riepp.
Church of St. John the Divine
Casavant opus 2694
Casavant Frères Ltée, Ste. Hyacinthe, Quebec
Opus 2694 (1961)
4 manuals; electro-pneumatic action; pitman chests
8 stop Antiphonal division in the tower.
This organ is of neo-baroque tonality, built during the organ reform movement just before the tracker revival.
Great and Choir divisions are in a window-box disposition, cantilevered over the choir pews on either side of the chancel. Swell and Pedal divisions are behind the Great, above the chapel. This organ replaces one that perished in the fire of 1960.
Victoria Conservatory of Music
Casavant opus 400
Casavant Frères Ltée, Ste. Hyacinthe, Quebec
Opus 400 (1910)
4 manuals; electro-pneumatic action; ventil chests; moveable multiplexed console.
When it was purchased by Metropolitan Methodist Church in 1910, this was the largest church organ in Canada west of Toronto. In its first two decades it was played by such prominent recitalists as Joseph Bonnet, Marcel Dupré, Charles M. Courboin, Dr. Alfred Hollins and Louis Vierne.
When the Victoria Conservatory of Music bought the church building in 1997, renovations required disconnection of the organ's blower and console. After the conservatory moved in, the organ passively graced the new Alix Goolden Performance Hall for ten years until it was made playable again just in time for its 100th anniversary in July 2010. Its début was at a noon-hour recital with standing room only during the 2010 national convention of the Royal Canadian College of Organists.